Sunday, January 23, 2011

Forget yourself

So I have been attempting to do an experiment that I picked up from the example of a friend a few years ago... It's called... serving to get friends... Well maybe that is not the good way to think about it or go about it but it always seemed to work for her and it is working for me I feel.

I have a friend that would bend over backwards for anyone. I didn't even realize that she considered me a friend until she gave me a baby shower and than did so many nice things for me over the course of having bad days and having babies and just needing someone to talk to. I must have been pretty blind because she had to work really hard for me to really see that she was working really hard to serve me. The difference is that I don't think she did it to gain a friend but that she really wanted to be like Christ and follow His example.

This past year I have decided that if I want to be happy and feel needed and wanted than I had better step it up and serve the people that I think need it and those that I would like to get to know better. I have been amazed at the friends that I have developed and grown to love. But, mostly I have been completely blown away at the fact that they want to serve me back. I am truly blessed to have so many good friends that care for my family and I.

Now don't get me wrong. It is not easy and although it seems I want to give give give...(or maybe it doesn't) it requires some sacrifice but I feel that I don't have as many problems or worries when I am thinking about what I can do for the next person. President Hinckley said,
"Forget yourself and get to work." I lived by that motto on my mission and I am remembering why I loved it so much then.

So if you get a call from me or I offer to help you out... please don't think I am trying to bribe your friendship... but that I truly want to make your life easier and be of any help that I can be. And if for some reason I don't call you up and ask to help you out... I want to still help you out, but I am just a little on the dense side sometimes and don't see what needs seen. Feel free to give me a punch in the shoulder and tell me what needs done!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for following my blog :) it is very small and will never be a big deal on the "craft blogosphere" but i really value those who come by and visit my little blog. thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete