Friday, January 28, 2011

Upside down reading

I remember when I was younger we went to my uncle's house for dinner on a Sunday afternoon.  All of us kids were running around making terrors of ourselves chasing each other from one room to the other and then outside chasing the cows and the dogs and hiding in the hay bails.  At one point in time I ran by my uncles Jeep and happened to glance in.  I saw my cousin (maybe 5 or 6 at the time) sitting in there with the Book of Mormon open...(upside down) reading it.  She was so focused on reading it that she didn't notice us zooming around outside laughing and playing.  I remember thinking, "wow, should I be doing that?"  It passed and I ran away.  I have never forgot about my little cousin sitting in the Jeep reading when she could have been playing.  I have always felt that I wanted to one day see my kids voluntarily read the Book of Mormon or other scriptures because they wanted to.
Fast forward to last night.  It happened.  Annie came in with several books that she wanted to read while she fell asleep.  (This has been saving us from having crying fits at night.  She gets to choose two books to read and most often falls asleep before they are even done.)  As I went in to turn off the light last night I found the two books she chose of to the side and the Book of Mormon we had just finished reading as a family open at her side (upside down) and she was conked out.  I don't know if she finally got smart and realized that if she reads the Book of Mormon she will go to sleep faster...or that she sees us reading it and wanted to follow suite...  At any rate, I feel blessed to have such wonderful children and that puts so much more pressure on us to keep trying to do what is right to set the example for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment