Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Kick your trash

I was accused yesterday of having mommy language.  Funny story is, I think I talked like this before I was a mommy.

An athlete I have been coaching made a remark to me that he gets his ambition and drive in a certain sport from the desire of kicking his opponents @$$.  But, when it comes to pushing himself to becoming better he is too lazy.

I was relaying this story to some fellow coaches last night and instead of saying, "kicking his @$$,"  I substituted "trash" for the "@$$."  Ha.  One coach looked at me and said, "Kick his "trash" ?"  Yes, I said, Kick his opponents trash... and I went on to describe that he gets motivation for winning not by trying to better himself, but kick the others opponents trash.

He stared at me like I was speaking a different language.  What?  Kick their trash?  Is that code for something?  The other coach standing there with us jumped in, "no, what she means to say is kick his @$$.  She can't say it because she speaks mommy talk."  HAHAHA

I was so dumbfounded that my Mommy talk was not understood, but when "stronger" language was used it was understood entirely.  I do know that I have been known to make up words and reformulate how words and phrases go together... but I thought that was pretty self descriptive.

I have always felt that the manner in which you speak reflects your integrity and is a window to the world from within yourself.  Falling into "maintstream" swear words, dirty talk, foul language only demonstrates to me a lack of imagination, self control, and a lack of desire in self betterment.  By no means do I fall into perfect in this category, because I also feel that any word or phrase said in a strong or vulgar tone can be offensive and have the same result.  Conquering this habit is even more difficult than just merely cleaning up language.  I am forever working on this even though my tally marks of "swear words" said in my entire life time can add up on one hand if that.


No comments:

Post a Comment