Saturday, September 18, 2010

Alone but not really at all

It was a dark and snowy crisp evening. I climbed under the branches of several pine trees that I hand chosen specifically for their hiding abilities and lay there and wait. Would they notice? Would they see that I had left the group and was no longer there trudging behind them trying to keep up? I laid there and waited for what seemed like hours and slowly the tears began to fall as I peaked out from underneath the pine branch at the other girls racing down the hill on sleds and pulling them back up gleefully laughing and talking. I knew it, they didn't even notice I had been absent for the last couple of runs. Shows how much they liked me! I couldn't help but feel soo lonely and sad and worthless. Why couldn't I have been there best friends? I started to stifle the sob for several minutes and realized that crying wasn't making me feel better. I remember my mom had always told me that I could pray when I felt sad and then I would feel better. So underneath those pines trees on a cold winter's evening I prayed to my Heavenly Father and told Him how I felt. I felt a little better but the girls still didn't notice I was gone. Grrr. That was the problem. But, I was getting cold and I thought just maybe I would be able to sneak back to the house before they would see me. Just then, "Has anyone seen Amanda? She's been gone a long time." Huh? They had noticed? Wow. I waited for them to go past and snuck out in step with them once again. Oh there you are! Where have you been? Are you ok? I replied back, "oh yea I am fine. Just had to go do something...

Years later, I was about two or three weeks into the mission in Peru where I was the tallest blonde around, didn't understand hardly anything and didn't have a personality at all. (Surprising what happens to you when you are unable to express yourself as you always have. You become personalityless...) I had just left my boyfriend back home, ( wh9 I was pretty sure I was going to marry at some point) and did I mention I couldn't talk to anyone? Even when I attempted to say something in spanish to the locals I would only get a confused, lost look and then their eyes would go to my companion for an explanation as to what I had just said. She would then have to try and guess for the most part what I had tried to say and hurry on with something else. Needless to say I really had never felt so alone in my life. It got so bad I was ready to call up the president of the mission and tell him my bags were packed to go home. I had never quit anything but I could justify this one right? I was running home to my future husband... After all that is really what I was supposed to have been doing, getting married, having babies and living happily ever after... I remember crying myself to sleep as I prayed each night to my Father in Heaven, to help me be understood and to help me have the courage to continue. I prayed harder than I ever had before to not feel lonely and to feel at ease. Each night I would have dreams of James back home urging me to stay there and continue in the Lord's service. Each night I would feel just a bit better and each morning during my study I would spend most of it on my knees begging and pleading for strength and courage to continue. Before I knew it a month and then two months passed. I realized that I wasn't alone. I realized that me knees had calluses on them and holes were beginning to wear on my skirts at knee length. I realized that I had developed into a different person, one with a testimony of who I really am and that I am never ever alone. The first month of being in the field was the most humbling I had been through. But, as I look back on them now, what a transformation I went through. I know now that I had to go through that to become the type of person/missionary that my Father in Heaven needed me to be to be able to relate and help with those that were waiting for me.

Skip forward a few more years... I am now married, but just barely under a year. Life is great, we are loving life. We've just started a new business, James started school, we are happy. And then something so shattering and soul gashing happens. (Maybe one day I will right a book about this one... but for now no details.) And I feel completly lost, gone, with no one to turn to. I couldn't run to my mom, my husband, a friend, no one.... at all. I remembering sitting in my car, crying in uncontrollable sobs wishing that a stranger would just come so I could let it all out and then have them disappear forever. (I've got your curiosity peaked now huh? hehe. Sorry no details.) But in this time of really great sorrow I remembered how it was to spend time on your knees, pleading for peace, understanding and comfort. Comfort came almost immediatley, peace a little later and then after more time understanding. But, the point here is that I was never at any point of this ordeal alone, Ever. Even though I felt tossed to the sewer rats and trampled by swine and I felt so alone and hurt. I was never alone. I am so greatful that I am never alone. That I have a brother that went through every one of the hard times I went through and that I have a Father in Heaven that allows me to be humbled and then built back up and polished.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. It is true time on your knees does amazing things. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. You are an amazing person. You touch some many lives without knowing it just by being the person that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so amazing..I wish I had your strength and your personality!!!

    ReplyDelete