Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I can control the weather!

I have a confession... I think I may be able to control the weather... sometimes. I woke up yesterday to cloudy skies, howling wind and a deep feeling that I wasn't going to be able to get very much done today working the landscaping. Things didn't get better when I realized that we weren't going to be able to have anyone else help out and James and I were going to be solo with the kids pulling in pipe. Oh and did I mention that it was predicted that there was going to be thunderstorms all day long? The more into the morning it got the more anxiety I felt and the more hopeless I felt. I could make it work with the kids... but not with it being crummy out. So I did just about the only thing I really could do. I prayed hard and specifically that the weather would let us get what we needed done. I still felt the anxiety build. Not even a hug from James softened it. So I resorted to what I should have done in the beginning... I read the scriptures. I have to admit. I don't remember what I read and the anxiety didn't even really go away right then either. We left the house all bundled up, picked up the pipe puller and materials and rolled into the yard that we were going to be working in. And would you believe it? The clouds parted and it stayed sunny the entire day. (Well at least until I got to the gymn where I reffed volleyball. The heavens opened up then but that didn't matter.) To make things even better, Annie and Hank were angels and played and slept and behaved wonderfully and I went home with a feeling of accomplishment. There isn't very much better than that.
As I returned home that evening and finally made it to bed I laid there reflecting on the day like I usually do and once again was reminded what small and tender mercies I receive daily. And then I remembered a morning last summer when as usual we were way behind on our work... but when are we ever caught up? We were racing the clouds building in the sky to try and get all of our mowing done. Two yards in to the list of ten yards, James notices the yard next to the one we were doing and says gosh they sure do need some help. Look at that mess! The grass and weeds were literally three feet tall and from the looks of it had not been mowed ever that summer and it was into July already. We had a man on the street stop us and ask how much we'd charge to mow something like that. I answered and he stated well I wish they'd do something about it. It is a sore sight and drove off disgusted. As we were finishing up James noticed a young mom in her thirties in worn out clothes and a young toddler on the porch crying as her mom fought desperately with the weed eater trying to make it cut through the field in her front yard. James and I both looked at each other and knew what had to be done. He unloaded the mowers as I walked over to her. Her face was tear stained and frustration had overwhelmed it. I told her she wouldn't need to fight with that weed eater anymore, to set it down and go tend to her family. She told me I didn't understand, they were going to fine her and kick her out of the house if she didn't get anything done with the yard. I told her not to worry about that. It would get taken care of. She started crying even harder because she didn't have money to pay us. I assured her that it would be all right and to go inside. For the next several hours we chopped and hacked away at her yard, mean while the clouds were billowing even bigger above us just threatening to rain us out. We finished up, loaded everything back in the trailer and as we said our goodbyes would you know it? The sky cleared up for the rest of the day and we were able to get our work done. I would dare to say that if we hadn't took a little time out of our day to lend a hand to a stranger who obviously needed a hand than we might not have finished our work.
So as you might venture to guess, I believe that I can control the weather! Well more I am at the mercy of a Father in Heaven that wants to bless me when I am obedient to His will. And even more importantly we are instruments in His hands and if we use our talents to bless the lives of those around us He will take care of us...even when it seems impossible and we fell hopeless.

3 comments:

  1. your posts always brighten my day and make me rethink through life. I am glad someone can control the weather,next time I need that I am calling you. Thank you for being the wonderful people that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many little blessings! Love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amanda- you inspire me to be better!

    ReplyDelete